Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's your perspective?

I have recently noticed how different my reactions are from that of my friends and family. Understandably, we are all individual and come from different upbringings, but it got me thinking, how is it that I view a situation so different than that of the person sitting right beside me seeing the exact same thing I am seeing. This little rant has nothing to do with me thinking they are right or wrong, it's just interesting to me.

I was waiting in line at Hannaford to get rung up and there was a lady in front of me, paying for her groceries. She accidentally gave the lady $1 short of the total, so the cashier asked her for another dollar, what I thought was politely. The customer heard the cashier ask for the dollar in a snappy tone and started yelling all sorts of absurd things (Some of which didn't make sense or even work in that sentence.) Threw the dollar at her, and took off.

What I was thinking was, maybe the cashier was being snappy, maybe I don't recognize it. Maybe the customer wanted to get mad at someone and the cashier was the closest person. How can one really tell. I mean, there are some situations where it is extremely obvious that someone is being very polite, and in this case the cashier was being pretty neutral. (Not really smiling or showing enthusiasm)

Maybe that's what I'll do this winter. A little project. I'll watch peoples reactions in certain situations, jot it down in a notepad, and then write what I gathers from the situation.

This could be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment